Thursday, April 30, 2015

The Infinite Expanse by BC Powell

Title: The Infinite Expanse
Author: BC Powell
Series: Journals of Krymzyn #2
Genre: Fantasy, New Adult, Science Fiction
Release Date: March 31, 2015
Summary:
Evil lurks in the desolate Barrens of Krymzyn. For millions of Eras, predators with insatiable cravings have prowled the wasteland. When a traitor of the Delta enters their realm, the solitary beasts may finally have a leader to unite them.

As a new order emerges in the Barrens, Chase and Sash begin their lives together. While Chase fights to prove he belongs in Krymzyn, the power inside Sash flourishes in ways no one could have imagined. But a vengeance from the wasteland is soon unleashed upon them.

After Chase is trapped deep in the Barrens, his only escape is into the Infinite Expanse. Unaware of the deathly perils that take shape there, he may be lost forever. For Sash to return him from the endless wilderness, she’ll have to harness a mystical energy not seen since the beginning of time.

1. What is the biggest influence/interest that brought you to this genre?
As a teenage reader, the works of three authors opened my mind to the possibilities of fantasy and science fiction in different ways. “The Chronicles of Narnia” by C.S. Lewis was the first fantasy series I read, and it showed me there are very few boundaries in a properly developed fantasy world. Frank Herbert’s “Dune” was not only a mind-boggling read from the sci-fi perspective, but also taught me how a powerful social statement could be made in the genre. And J.R.R. Tolkien’s “The Lord of the Rings” showed me how strong the connection between a reader and characters can be during an amazing fantasy journey.

2. When writing a book, what is your favorite part of the creative process(outline, plot, character names, editing, etc)?
My favorite part is developing the characters. I strongly believe that the connection to the characters is what allows a reader to fully escape into a fantasy world. My goal as an author is to achieve an emotional connection between the reader and the story so that it all becomes very real. Suspended reality happens because of the reader’s empathy for the characters and trust they gain in them.

3. When reading a book, what genre do you find most interesting/intriguing?
Fantasy has always been my favorite genre, preferably with a light dose of science fiction mixed in. When I read, I want my imagination to be triggered in a way that it hasn’t been before. I like to become completely absorbed in the story and characters, and fantasy allows the reader to separate from real life while taking a journey through the world created by the author. I believe we learn a lot about ourselves while in a fantasy world based on our reactions to the characters and events we encounter.

4. If you could co-author with any author, past or present, who would you choose?
I will answer this question honestly. I would never want to co-write anything with another author. I have a very distinct vision for where my stories are going and how the characters develop. When I’m in the middle of writing a story, I become almost reclusive because I don’t want any distractions from my focus on the story. I think it would be impossible for me to get through the process with another person. I love talking to other authors about the writing process and try to learn as much as I can from them. But when I sit down to write, it’s something I need to do alone.

5. Have you always wanted to write or did it come to you "later in life"?
I’ve known I wanted to be a writer since I was about twelve. I wrote my first novel at sixteen, many short stories in my twenties, another novel at thirty, another at forty, and now, after half a century of life, I’m finally devoting all of my time to writing and publishing fiction. It’s something I’ve always known I wanted to do, but I didn’t get serious about it until later in life.


Author Bio:
BC Powell is a fantasy author from Los Angeles, CA. His debut science fiction fantasy novel "Krymzyn" was published in October, 2014. "The Infinite Expanse", the highly anticipated second book in "The Journals of Krymzyn" series, is scheduled for release on March 31, 2015.

Powell has a diverse background, having held several creative positions in the entertainment industry, including executive roles at ABC-TV and Technicolor. In recent years, he's authored several non-fiction works, primarily educational books and training programs for trading the financial markets. He dual majored in journalism and philosophy at Trinity University in San Antonio, Texas.

Writing fiction has been his lifelong passion and goal. “The Journals of Krymzyn” represents, in his words, “finally finding the story I want to tell with characters that are able to bring that story to life.” He's an avid reader and lists Ernest Hemingway, Frank L. Herbert, Stephen King, Jane Austen, and Kurt Vonnegut, Jr. as his favorite authors.

Brad, as he prefers to go by in personal communication, lives with his longtime girlfriend, three sons from a previous marriage, and their rescue dog and cat. He enjoys hiking, ocean kayaking, spending time at Southern California beaches, movies, and reading.


FACEBOOK  /  TWITTER  /  WEBSITE



The Infinite Expanse #2
AMAZON US  /  AMAZON UK  /  B&N

Krymzyn #1
AMAZON US  /  AMAZON UK  /  B&N





Brought to you by: 

1 comment:

  1. Hi Heather,

    Thank you so much for having me on your blog and being part of the tour! I appreciate your support.

    All my best . . . BC Powell

    ReplyDelete