Tuesday, August 23, 2016

Competing with the Star by Krysten Lindsay Hager

Title: Competing with the Star
Author: Krysten Lindsay Hager
Series: Star Series #2
Genre: Contemporary Romance, Young Adult
Release Date: March 22, 2016

Summary:
Hadley Daniels’s life seems perfect…

Before the beginning of sophomore year of high school, Hadley and her family move to a beautiful beach town, where she makes amazing new friends and lands the boyfriend of her dreams-Nick Jenkins. He’s the kind of guy every girl swoons over, and it isn’t long until Hadley discovers some are still swooning.

A famous ex-girlfriend makes matters more complicated…

After some time dating, Hadley and Nick form a deep bond. But insecurity sets in when Hadley discovers her boyfriend once had a huge crush on her friend-who just happens to be the beautiful former teen TV star, Simone Hendrickson.

The past is the past-or so they say…

Hadley confronts Nick, who confesses about his history with Simone. Though he claims to only have eyes for Hadley now, it’s hard to believe-especially when she’s blindsided with the news that Nick and Simone kissed after school.

Now Hadley must determine who is telling the truth. Love, betrayal, friendship…who needs soap opera drama when you’re busy competing with a star?

1.  What is the biggest influence/interest that brought you to this genre?
I used to turn to YA books and reading when I was a teen to help me deal with things. I internalized a lot rather than talking to someone, so reading books with characters going through similar things like friend/frenemy issues, boyfriend problems, dating, crushes, self-esteem issues, and parent issues helped me feel less alone with my own problems. Some of the authors who influenced me are: Paula Danziger, Judy Blume, Francine Pascal, Erika Tamar, and Ann M. Martin.

2.  When writing a book, what is your favorite part of the creative process (outline, plot, character names, editing, etc)?
I don’t do much in the way of an outline unless I’m working on a sequel or series book. My favorite part is doing character sketches. I am also one of the rare authors who enjoys editing. I edit as I go to help me get back into the characters’ world.

3.  When reading a book, what genre do you find most interesting/intriguing?
I love YA, new adult, and women’s fiction. I also love biographies and memoirs and I know you’re not supposed to admit this, but I like self-help books as well. I probably hit the non-fiction section of the bookstore first and then the YA and middle grade section.

4.  If you could co-author with any author, past or present, who would you choose?
I love Sylvia Plath’s The Bell Jar. I wish the world had another novel by her so to have been able to co-write with her would have been a dream. I remember finding her book in my high school lit class bookshelf and escaping into that world during Friday reading. I seriously loved Friday reading when I was in school. When I was in 6th grade we did a read-a-thon which involved reading and snacking all day. We got to make little forts in the building that we took over for the day and it was amazing.

5.  Have you always wanted to write or did it come to you "later in life"?
I’ve always wanted to write ever since I was a kid and making up stories for my Barbie dolls. I can trace it back to watching soap operas with my mom as a kid and acting out the cliffhangers with my Barbies. That got my mind going into that storytelling mode and it just continued on from there. Writing is my passion.



Author Bio:
Krysten Lindsay Hager is a book addict who has worked as a journalist and humor essayist. She is the author of the LANDRY's TRUE  COLORS SERIES and the STAR SERIES. TRUE COLORS was her debut novel and the first book in the LANDRY'S TRUE COLORS series. BEST FRIENDS...FOREVER? (Book 2) was #1 in Amazon's hot new releases in teen & young adult values and virtues fiction and #1 in Amazon's hot new release in children's books on values. Landry in Like (Book 3) was #3 in Amazon's Hot New Releases for Girls & Women. Her work has been featured in USA Today, The Flint Journal, the Grand Haven Tribune, the Bellbrook Times, and on the talk show Living Dayton. Check out her YA novel, NEXT DOOR TO A STAR (book 1 in the STAR SERIES) and COMPETING WITH THE STAR: Book 2 in the STAR SERIES.


FACEBOOK  /  TWITTER  /  WEBSITE
B&N  /  AMAZON  /  GOODREADS








Brought to you by:

2 comments: