Sunday, March 31, 2019

Monday's Mystical Magic(Sunday Edition): Sometimes Demons Whisper by Lynn Michaels


Summary:
Kayden and Bryan find a way to deal with the demons that the consultants at WCPC can’t handle.

WCPC handles all your paranormal needs. Poltergeists, ghosts, or mystical apparitions, we can help. We employ the most talented wranglers who can control even the toughest demons around. Call the consultants of Watercrest Cannon Paranormal Consultants to help.

Broody wrangler and tactile psychic take on the mystery at Brown-Blythe Manor - Sometimes Demons Whisper.


I'll be honest, this short novella seemed to get off to a bit of a slow start, ALTHOUGH the book I read before this was a completely different genre and I wasn't 100% in the mood for a paranormal so I'm sure that factored into how my mindset grasped what I was reading.  After I hit around the 15% mark I was getting into the swing of things and after that the story started to speak to me. Sometimes Demons Whisper is a really great introduction to this new WCPC Paranormal Consultants series by Lynn Michaels, I don't know just how many entries the author plans on but the possibilities are vast and you get a great sense and feel for whats to come.

Bryan and Kayden have this amazing chemistry that has so much promise but that's all I will really say to the plot as Sometimes Demons Whisper is a paranormal and personally I think most paranormals need to be experienced "cold turkey" without much given away.  I will say be in the mood for a paranormal/fantasy genre when you pick this one up or you might be like me and take a bit to connect but once you do it is definitely worth the read.  As I stated above, because it took me a bit to really get my teeth sunk in I am pretty sure I'll be re-reading Sometimes Demons Whisper again when I go to read the next entry and I am already looking forward to doing so and seeing what kind of demons and mysticals the WCPC Paranormal Consultants will be facing.

RATING:


I paused at the door, listening to the crunch of the lock turning, not believing Bryan had left me alone. Again. He should have been there, should have picked me up from the hospital. This thing…this emptiness inside me…was Bryan's fault. Couldn't the man give me just an ounce of support?

I shoved the door open and dropped my duffle bag inside on the crappy linoleum floor that was supposed to look like tile, but didn't. I wouldn’t really need anything in my bag immediately. I could deal with unpacking later. I needed to relax and be happy that they’d let me go home.

Walking into the dining area, I stopped. The hairs on the back of my neck rose like minuscule heads turning into a scream. I could smell his cologne before I even saw him sitting there at my dining room table. Parts of his gun were spread out across the cheap formica table. Bryan cleaned his weapon with oil and really long cotton swabs, fingering the parts expertly and making little clicking sounds that I had always associated with the task. He couldn’t fucking pick me up, but he could use my table to clean his weapons?

“What are you doing here?”

“Hey, babe…” He didn’t even bother looking up at me.

 Something was wrong. Off. I could tell by the tone of his voice—the way he wouldn't even glance in my direction, and maybe the overly intense concentration he gave his weapon. Clearing my throat, I asked again, “Bryan? What are you doing here?”

 He stopped and set the main stock and barrel on the table before taking a long drag of a cigarette. He flicked the ashes on the floor. Bryan didn't smoke, and if he did, he wouldn't be so rude as to flip the ashes on my floor, even if it was cheap linoleum that had seen better days with stains from drinks and holes and rips from furniture being slid too roughly across it. This wasn't my Bryan.

“What the fuck? What are you doing? Bry?”

“Eating. It's breakfast, isn't it?” He snapped the final pieces of his gun in place and flipped it around, tucking the barrel into his mouth, between his sweet lips. The cigarette hung precariously between his two fingers the whole time. Those familiar lips plumped around the metal suggestively.

Too many sleepless nights and long, drawn-out days rushed over me. “Stop, stop! What the hell? Stop it, Bryan!” I grabbed his shoulders and shook him.

 He laughed. Laughed like he’d just heard the funniest joke in the world—the kind of laugh that left kinks in your side. His weapon disappeared, and he hugged his ribs. Who was I looking at? Who was this?

“You're not Bryan.” I stepped back, wanting to put distance between us. My fingers where I’d touched him turned cold—numb.

“Everyone leaves, Chad,” he said, his voice husky with more rasp than it had ever had before. “Everyone leaves you! Even your precious Bryan. You don’t deserve anything else…” He pointed one long finger at me. His words hung in the air. I realized the voice was all wrong, and it creeped me the fuck out. It wasn't Bryan's voice at all, but my own, nearly an octave higher than Bryan's. The man that looked like Bryan yelled and spat. “Even the demon left you…Chad. What do you expect?”

 I didn't hear the end of his tirade over my own screaming.

Author Bio:
Lynn Michaels lives and writes in Tampa, Florida where the sun is hot and the Sangria is cold. When she's not writing she's kayaking, hanging with her husband, or reading by the pool. Lynn writes Male/Male romance because she believes everyone deserves a happy ending and the dynamics of male characters can be intriguing, vulnerable, and exciting. She has both contemporary and paranormal titles and has been writing since 2014. Her stories don't follow any set guidelines or ideas, but come from her heart and contain love in many forms.


FACEBOOK  /  TWITTER  /  WEBSITE
KOBO  /  B&N  /  EXTASY BOOKS
iTUNES  /  AMAZON  /  GOODREADS 



B&N  /  KOBO  /  EXTASY BOOKS

No comments:

Post a Comment