Monday, July 29, 2019

Monday's Memorial Moment: Anarchy by Olivier Bosman


Detective Sergeant John Billings is a Quaker. He sees God in everyone and takes other people's suffering to heart. He is an honest and hard working man who has risen swiftly through the ranks to become one of Scotland Yard's youngest detectives. But in his private life he struggles with the demons of loneliness, morphine addiction and homosexuality.

Summary:
​The year is 1894. Europe has been suffering from a series of Anarchist terror attacks, the latest of which was the bombing of a Parisian textile mill which killed thirteen people. The perpetrators of this act - the seven Hirsch Brothers - are believed to be on the run in London. Billings, Flynt and Clarkson are called in by Special Branch to help locate them. But the investigation goes spectacularly wrong. One by one, the Hirsch Brothers are found dead and the police have no idea who is killing them.


Anarchists, terrorist, or something more personal?  When the missing Hirsch brothers keep turning up dead suddenly a case of anarchy is looking much more personal.  Once again Olivier Bosman throws DS Billings headlong into a case that goes horribly wrong.  Has he taken one too many wrong turns finally?  For that you have to read yourself but trust me, it is well worth the time to find out.

I absolutely love this series, there is something about Billings that you just want to wrap the poor guy in a bear hug but it's going to take more than that to keep him safe.  On the personal side, he's finally opening his heart up to his true nature, reluctantly but still more than he ever has before.  Will he find happiness now that he's exploring his heart?  You have to read that for yourself but I love how each entry brings him into himself more and perhaps not "risk" the consequences but he's not letting the fear completely shut him off from his heart.

As much of a history lover that I am, I have to admit 1890s England is not my area of knowledge short of what I've seen in films and read in fiction which I know is not always an accurate portrayal of the time.  For that reason, I can't say with 100% certainty to the author's stick-to-it-ness of the era but I'm going to guess it is pretty real from what little I do know and that makes Anarchy even better.

The mystery, the romance, the history, all of these aspects makes Anarchy a great read and another great installment to the DS Billings Victorian Mysteries series.  If you are new to this series I highly recommend reading it in order.  Yes, each entry has a new case but as I already touched on DS Billings grows into accepting himself more and more with each book.  The friction between him and his superior, the friendship between him and his partner, all these things continue from one case to the next making the personal side of each book flow better having read the previous ones.  After the ending of Anarchy I can't help but fear Billings may suffer a few setbacks but then again it might serve as the kick-in-the-pants he needs to show him what's important.  Either way I can't wait to see where Olivier Bosman takes his character next.

RATING:


Saturday's Series Spotlight
Part 1  /  Part 2  /  Part 3


Author Bio:
Born to Dutch parents and raised in Colombia and England, I am a rootless wanderer with itchy feet. I've spent the last few years living and working in The Netherlands, Czech Republic, Sudan and Bulgaria, but I have every confidence that I will now finally be able to settle down among the olive groves of Andalucia.

I'm an avid reader and film fan and I have an MA in creative writing for film and television.


FACEBOOK  /  TWITTER  /  WEBSITE
BLOG  /  LINKED IN  /  B&N
TUMBLR  /  AMAZON  /  GOODREADS  



Anarchy #4

Series

No comments:

Post a Comment