Sunday, September 15, 2024

🏈Sunday's Sport Stats🏈: The Quarterback Keeper by Rheland Richmond & Emerson Beckett



Summary:

The Package Deal #1
I'm having dirty thoughts about my six-year-old son's teacher. But in my defense, I didn’t know who he was when I literally ran him over on the beach that day.

Christian has no clue I'm Alex Hayes, the NFL quarterback of the Portland Pirates. He just thinks I'm the single dad of two he met at Cannon Beach. The dad he schools on the pleasures of how to love another man. He re-awakens my dormant bisexual side that I’ve never had a chance to really explore.

Our connection is strong and by the time our week alone is up, I want more with him. Until my reality invades our bubble and I have to break his heart. And mine. But Christian is a keeper, and I'll do whatever it takes to win the football hating hottie back.

Even if it means playing dirty.

Find out how Alex and Christian ache to overcome some daunting complications to reunite in The Quarterback Keeper, Book One of The Package Deal Series.



CHAPTER 1
CHRISTIAN ST. CLAIR
“Hey, what time are you leaving?”Cooper asked as he strode in the door from his first job of the day.

My roommate Cooper worked as a nanny and a dog walker here in Portland and made a decent living working both jobs between his graduate school classes. Since Portland was an animal-friendly city, someone always needed their dog taken out for a long walk or to be exercised in the park.

“In about half an hour,” I replied as I put my last few items into my duffle bag. I glanced around my room to make sure I hadn’t forgotten anything I may need.

“Where are they going this time?” he asked.

“The Caribbean. It’s an anniversary trip for them.”

“Lucky them,” he murmured, and I couldn’t agree more.

I was heading to Cannon Beach for the next two weeks to house sit for them in their oceanfront home. I enjoyed taking care of Sampson, their two-year-old Newfoundland. Usually, they boarded him at the local doggie hotel, but this trip was too long for their big bear of a baby. When they adopted the giant dog from the shelter in Portland, I offered to help take care of him whenever they needed me. It was a no-brainer since I was on summer break from my job as a first-grade teacher.

Who in their right mind would pass up two weeks on the Oregon coast, watching the waves roll in? It was my favorite place to just relax with a good book, play with a water-loving dog, and take in the wide beautiful beach as much as possible. We were experiencing a warm, dry spell that was highly unusual for the area. I hoped it lasted at least another two weeks before the sixty-degree rainy days returned.

Someone to share these warm days with would have been nice, but since I didn’t have that option anymore, the rest would have to do. At least for now.

“That sounds like a good way to spend two weeks. Maybe you can find a surfer or lifeguard to hook up with out there,” Cooper teased, wiggling his eyebrows at me. I snorted and rolled my eyes but didn’t bother with a reply. He knew good and well that Cannon Beach didn’t draw surfers or lifeguards, for that matter.

“Yeah, no. I’ve had enough jocks to last me a lifetime. The only male with whom I’ve got a hot date is an enormous furry bear, but not the kind you’re thinking about. You know you can come out there any time, right? They seriously won’t care.”

Cooper has been my fun-loving best friend and roommate for the last six years. He was one of my favorite people in the world, and as hard as he worked, he deserved the break. Cooper and I met our freshman year at the University of Oregon and have been fast friends ever since.

Coop leaned against the doorframe and watched me pack. “I wish I could, but I promised to help a buddy a while back. Remember I told you about my brother’s friend from home who was moving here?”

I nodded, vaguely trying to remember the conversation. He probably had, but I could have easily missed it if he had told me at the end of the school year. Thankfully, Cooper kept on going.

“He’s the new vet at the rescue shelter clinic. When he said they offered it to him, I promised to help him out… his name is Callum Kennedy. Not sure I told you that.”

Cooper shook his head and continued, “Anyway, I promised to help him move in and show him around town a bit. You know, introduce him to some people around here. He’s kinda reserved. We’ve been discussing the possibility of starting a mobile vet service here in the city. I think a lot of my clients would love it. The business opportunity is pretty feasible.”

“Yeah, it sounds like it. We can hang out when I get back. But, if you change your mind about the beach, text me,” I said, zipping up my bag.

“Will do. I’ve got to hit the shower. I smell like Zeus.” Cooper laughed at himself and gave me a high five as he headed to the bathroom, “Text me when you get there, dear!”

“I will, sweetheart. Don’t have any wild parties without me.” Cooper laughed again at me, knowing that was not who I was. At all. We loved to use ridiculous terms of endearment.

I smiled at our silliness as I checked to ensure I had the books I wanted to take, my laptop, and a few folders that contained some first week of school activities I wanted to do with my class. I planned to get some of my lesson planning done for the first month of school. It was going to be hectic starting a new job at a new school, not to mention getting to know the faculty, and moving into and setting up a new classroom. Thankfully, the principal let me move my big stuff in two weeks ago.

It was overwhelming but in the best way. I was actually excited and ready for the new challenge. And boy, did I want to do a good job. I tried to tell myself it wasn’t like being the new kid in school that showed up in the middle of the school year when everyone already had their cliques. Unfortunately, telling myself the situation wasn’t like that definitely didn’t quell my anxiety.

I sighed and tried to remind myself not to go down that line of thinking. Focus on things you can control, Christian. Like long walks on the beach with my furry friend. Hot surfers to look at would have been the icing on the cake, but the Oregon coast wasn’t the place to find them.

When I had everything I needed and dressed in basketball shorts and a t-shirt, I yelled goodbye to Cooper through the bathroom door. I headed out to my car to make the ninety-minute drive.

Driving out of the city, I put my window down and let the unusually warm summer air trail through the car. I liked to take advantage of every glorious and rare minute that it wasn’t raining in my beloved hometown. Lost in thought as I made my way toward the coast, the rhythmic beat of the popular music on my radio had me unconsciously singing along as I drove.

Before I knew it, the familiar smell of salt and the sea filtered through my nose, alerting me to my arrival and shaking me out of my thoughts. I loved this little area of quaint shops and iconic beach things. Locally made ice cream, trendy diners, and just enough low-key nightlife to make a young single gay guy think about venturing out.

I wasn’t there to look for a hookup, but if one came my way, that would be a bonus. It might be just what I needed to put my last boyfriend behind me. You know what they say, the best way to get over someone is to get under someone else.

I drove through the heart of the little beach town, then turned left on Ocean Drive. It was the Pacific Coast Highway of Cannon Beach, trailing along the coast and between two rows of houses. It was breathtaking at sunset, and I was looking forward to taking it in every clear night for the next two weeks.

After pulling up to the two-story cedar shake-sided beachfront house, I gathered my things from the back seat. My aunt and uncle's home was one of two at the end of the street. The other home sat next door and was separated by the dead-end street that overlooked the ocean. The Peterson’s home was much larger and sported a big beautiful wrap-around deck complete with everything you could think of to enjoy the rare sunny days. I sure hope they grilled out and took pity on me and invited me over for dinner.

Duffle over one shoulder, and book bag over the other, I made my way up the steps only to be met by the lovable black dog who would be my charge for the next fourteen days. Sampson let out a joyful boof and wagged his big tail at the sight of me.

I pulled open the glass storm door and was immediately met by a wall of black fur, drool stringing from his mouth, and happy dark eyes. Man, I really loved this dog.

“Hey, buddy! How ya doing?” I asked. I bent down and accepted his kisses on my face as I rubbed his head behind his ears. Sampson was smart and super chill. He loved to play in the sand and frolic in the water. We would both be enjoying the beach as much as the weather allowed.

Wiping the excess slobber from my cheek on the shoulder of my t-shirt, I heard the familiar voice of my aunt Maggie call out to me.

“Hey, Christian! Come on in, sweetheart. I’m in here.”

Sampson and I made our way to the kitchen, where I found her putting away what looked to be a last-minute grocery delivery. I walked over to give her a hug.

“Hey, Aunt Maggie,” I smiled. “Looks like you’ve been busy.”

“Well, you know that boy there eats a ton, and I didn’t want you to have to go out and get more for him. But, I did leave you some cash in the top drawer over there in case you needed anything.”

I smiled at her as she continued. Maggie was the best aunt a guy could ask for. They didn’t have any kids, so they latched on to my sister and me whenever possible.

“I filled the fridge and the freezer with things a twenty-six-year-old might enjoy and made a batch of my oatmeal cookies you love. There are a few steaks and some chicken breast in the freezer, along with pizzas and all the makings for sandwiches. And of course soda, beer, and wine.”

“You seriously didn’t have to do all that,” I grinned again, “but I really appreciate it. Especially the cookies.”

“Well, sweetheart, it’s the least I could do since you won’t let us pay you. I tried to make sure you didn’t have to buy groceries. This boy here,“ she said, rubbing Sampson’s head, “requires brushing every day, and it can be a lot of work taking care of him and all his fur after a jaunt in the ocean water and sand. I just want you to know how much we appreciate you staying with him. He’s our baby.”

“Like I told you when you adopted him, I’m more than willing to help when you need it.” Who wouldn’t love a big ole teddy bear of a dog?

They adopted Sampson after Cooper had mentioned that the rescue he volunteered at had received a Newfoundland puppy. He knew my aunt had always wanted a big dog that liked water and could live happily at the beach since my uncle frequently traveled for business. Sampson was a perfect fit for them.

“You’re a good one, Christian, and we love you dearly,” Aunt Maggie said and placed another kiss on my cheek. “Go on up and get settled in your room. I put fresh linens out for you.”

“Thanks, Aunt Maggie. Where’s Uncle Thomas?” I asked.

“He’s in his study, finishing up some last-minute business before the car arrives. I can’t wait to have two weeks without work and continuous sunshine,” she beamed.

I nodded and went to put my things in my favorite room. It was the largest of the guest rooms and painted in ecru. The queen-size thick memory foam mattress was covered with a pale blue and white down comforter. I couldn’t wait to sink into it tonight.

The dark blue and white striped draperies were pulled back, showcasing the magnificent view of the Pacific from the oversized floor-to-ceiling windows. The white writing desk that sat under the window would be the perfect place to work on my plans.

I couldn’t wait to get outside on the deck with stairs that led directly to the ocean. It was my favorite place to sit back and read. Oregon’s location in the Pacific Northwest meant we got lots of rain and started out most days under cloud cover. On beautiful sunny days like today, you had to take advantage of every minute you could.

Leaving my oasis for a while, I bound down the stairs. My aunt and uncle were both in the kitchen. Their luggage sat by the door to the garage. Sampson was sprawled out on the cool floor. His tail began thumping a steady beat when he saw me.

“You guys ready to go?” I asked.

“Hey, Christian!” Uncle Thomas said, coming over to hug me. “Thanks again for taking care of the baby. It means a lot to us.”

“It's a tough job under terrible living conditions, but someone’s gotta do it!” I snarked at my dad’s brother before a laugh broke through.

“Yeah, I know. So terrible,“ Thomas smirked right back, rolling his eyes at our usual banter.

“Well, I think we’re ready to go, honey, so take care of my baby for me and enjoy some downtime. There’s a new microbrewery in town you might like to try,” Aunt Maggie added.

“Oh, and before I forget, the Peterson’s are in Italy for the summer.”

“Well, damn. I was hoping they would be grilling out and invite me over.”

“I’m sorry to disappoint you, sweetheart, but they’ve rented out their house. The renter is there now, and he has a dog. I think it’s a Lab. Anyway, Sampson will be fine, so don’t worry about them if you run into them.”

“Good to know,” I added, squatting down to rub Sampson’s big head behind his ears.

“The car’s here, hon. We need to go,” my uncle said, picking up their luggage.

“Have a good trip,” I called after them as they made their way through the garage to the waiting town car. Once the luggage had been stowed in the trunk, they offered one final wave before the car pulled away.

I looked down at my one hundred forty-pound panting housemate and smiled.

“Ready for the beach boy?” I asked.

Sampson barked once and trotted off for the sliding glass door. I locked the garage door and followed him out into the warm sunny day along the Pacific.


Saturday Series Spotlight






Rheland Richmond
For as long as she can remember Rheland's had her nose stuck in a book, getting lost in the world of someone else's creation (She still does). Her love for writing came from her love for reading. She could never have one without the other. 

Writing has always been a hobby and a cathartic experience for her. There are many stories lost to the never to be completed or published pile but needed to be written at the time.

She's just a girl that loved stories so much she wrote hers. 

Rheland would love to hear from her readers and learn more about Y'all. So if you get a chance... please get in touch.

She also writes Omegaverse as Skye R. Richmond.




Emerson Becket
Emerson Beckett is new to the publishing world. As an avid sports fan and lover of well-written M/M romance books, Emerson loves her new career as an author of gay romance. It’s even more fulfilling for her when she can combine the two.

The journey to becoming an author started with an idea while reading on the sofa. That idea became an email that ultimately resulted in Emerson using those teacher skills to edit novels for three phenomenal MM romance authors. The third referral led to an opportunity to co-write a book series with one of the most genuine and kindest people she’s ever had the pleasure of knowing- Rheland Richmond.

Emerson is the co-author of The Package Deal Series, which includes The Quarterback Keeper, Pass Interference, Unnecessary Roughness, Two-Point Conversion, and three more upcoming books in the series. She will release her first solo novel in late spring 2023.

Besides being a retired teacher and author, Emerson lives in North Carolina and has been married to the same man for 32 years. She is the mother of three beautiful adults, one of whom is proudly part of the LGBTQ Community and completely responsible for her addiction to MM Romance. Even though the kids no longer live at home, they filled the empty nest with an Australian Shepherd, three cats, and a cute bunny rabbit.







Rheland Richmond
FACEBOOK  /  TWITTER  /  FB GROUP
BOOKBUB /  AMAZON  /  GOODREADS
EMAIL: rhelandrichmond@gmail.com

Emerson Beckett
FACEBOOK  /  TWITTER  /  FB FRIEND
BOOKBUB  /  AMAZON  /  GOODREADS
EMAIL: emerson@emersonbeckett.com



The Quarterback Keeper #1

The Package Deal Series

Amber Falls Series


No comments:

Post a Comment