Tuesday, August 4, 2026

July Book of the Month: Be My Ruin by Davidson King




Summary:

Be Mine #2
Gideon has had complete control of the town and state he lives in for two years, and powerful people answer to him. His twins are thriving, his love for Penn is unshakable, and life is good…until the glass shatters and it all comes crashing down. He’s forced to fight back, which risks not only his empire but the lives of those he loves.

Penn’s life is nothing like he imagined it would be. He has the love of a gorgeous man, the adoration of his twins, and a family who, though meddling at times, would jump in front of a bullet for him. It doesn’t matter that Penn feels no pain or fear; they treat him like he’s fragile, and sometimes he’s okay with that. But when danger rolls into town, threatening those he loves and the life he’s built, he wonders if this feeling that’s leaving him so cold could be fear.

Gideon and Penn’s happily ever after is tested as everything around them crumbles, lives are destroyed, and empires fall. No strangers to fighting for what’s theirs, they find themselves facing an enemy like no other before. Their love has burned so bright, but when the last shot has been fired, it could mean their end.

Be My Ruin is book 2 in my Be Mine Series. It’s recommended you read book 1, Be My Monster first.



Equally brilliant as the first in the author's newest series, Be Mine, further cementing her crown as the Queen of Mayhem.  I was completely blown away. On one hand you have an idea what to expect because you are already familiar with the characters and setting but on the other hand, the blend of dark, suspense, and heart reached even newer heights.  Top notch all the way around.

I won't spoil anything, especially if you haven't read Be My Monster but I will briefly once again mention Penn's health and the importance behind it and just how accurately Davidson King writes it. Penn lives with the gene mutation, FAAH-OUT, now I have no personal dealings with that issue, I do however have extensive experience with peripheral neuropathy with both of my parents. So even though I don't know what complete lack of pain is I do understand having no feeling in your extremities which is equally dangerous. Not knowing you ran your finger through boiling water, snipped a chunk of skin when clipping your fingernails, cutting your leg, these are all things I've dealt with so I understand Penn's nightly perusal of his body to see if there are any new abrasions or injuries. As I did in my review for Monster, I want to thank Davidson King for showing proper respect for pain(or lack of there of) and the need to recognize it's source so you can heal properly. 

On to Be My Ruin.  What's not to love? If dark elements and violence are triggers, you may want to tread carefully or reach out to the author for clarity, but if not then I can't imagine not loving this tale.  Penn and Gideon are living a life of happiness, I won't say "carefree" or even "quiet", those words really don't exist is their world but its been closer to status quo than chaotic in recent months.  

That's about to changeπŸ˜‰.

I tagged this as "single dad" but Penn is very much a father figure to Gideon's twins and very "uncley" to Matteo, he would risk everything for those kids because they have his heart.  Gideon of course will do anything for his family and he makes no secret of just how far that "anything" goes.  There are those out there who would call that a liability or weakness but in truth they just don't have any idea of the retribution they are about to unleash.  And those moments are deliciously satisfying to this reader.

This is just a personal observation and total guess, but I can't help but think the author took some extra delight in the bad guy being a politician, knowing where the endgame would beπŸ˜‰πŸ˜‰.  I don't know if the author's thought process went there but I do know mine sure did.  Talking about the bad guy makes me think of the mayhem and suspense, since we know who that big bad is early on you might think there is little in the way of surprises in the who category, well you'd be wrong. I narrowed it down to 2 people and frankly, I'm glad the author took the path she did, both would have been entertaining but this path leads to emotional hiccups reaching far past the covers of Ruin.  Vague I know but again, no spoilers.

As I started with, brilliant all the way around.

I beleive the author recently announced that Be Mine is set to be a four book series and the next entry will focus on another couple in Gideon and Penn's world but I won't say who so it doesn't spoil anything here. I will say, as much as I will miss Gid & Penn not being front and center, I am definitely looking forward to the next couple's journey.

RATING:





CHAPTER ONE
Gideon
“Night, Daddy.” Olivia beamed at me from her bed, her curly reddish hair fanning out over the pillow and her tired brown eyes holding the lingering excitement from the day.

“Night, Livy. Happy birthday.” I couldn’t believe the twins were seven now. The last two years had flown by in a great way.

“Thanks for the bestest day ever!”

I chuckled. “Sweet dreams.”

I closed the door and passed Owen’s room. He’d fallen asleep an hour ago while watching television downstairs, so I knew he was out cold.

The house was quieter since Dean, Rita, and Matteo had moved out. Their home had finally been rebuilt after the devastating fire that had almost claimed the lives of my children and nephew a couple of years ago. I often thought of that time, how I’d come so close to never hearing their laughter or seeing their excitement. Milestones that had almost never happened. There was only one reason the three of them were still alive and thriving today, and he was currently standing in front of the long mirror in our bedroom, naked.

It was part of his nightly ritual. The gene mutation, FAAH-OUT, had left him with the inability to feel pain or fear. Because of that, he had to do thorough checks of himself, take his temperature often and, at the insistence of my sister-in-law, Rita, go to the doctor often for in-depth physicals that often led to full-body MRIs. Her defense was: If he had something wrong inside, how would he know? That was a scary thought, and no one tended to argue with her.

Penn never disagreed with Rita, often letting her have her way, and he knew all the medical fussing was because she loved him. As much as I hated the fact that he had to check himself daily, it was one of my favorite parts of the day.

Pennsylvania Garrand’s body was a work of art. He stood at six foot two to my six foot five. His skin was perfectly tanned due to the summer and he was muscular, toned, whatever you called it. He exercised some, but he loved to do projects outside—much to the dislike of my landscaper and gardener. He kept his hair buzzed, and I knew that was so it was easier to see his scalp for issues, but it suited him. Through the reflection, his piercing green eyes were assessing his skin and hadn’t noticed me enjoying the show.

He was about to turn around to check out his ass, and I took that as my cue.

“Let me help you with this part.”

He met my gaze in the mirror and smirked. “I can do it.”

I hummed. “I know you can, but where’s the fun in that?”

He held out his arms and legs wide, looking like Leonardo Da Vinci’s Vitruvian Man. I closed the bedroom door and sauntered over to my gorgeous man.

“Now, try and stay still so I don’t miss a single spot. This is important work I’m doing.”

He snorted. “Mmhmm, okay, Mr. Hendrix. Whatever you say.”

I slapped his ass, but he didn’t flinch. “Sometimes it’s annoying that I can’t give you a spanking.”

He shrugged as best he could in his position. “I mean, you can, but I won’t feel the sting. However, your hands on me…that would do something, for sure.”

I pressed a kiss to his shoulder blade, flattened my hands on his back, and slowly went to my knees behind him.

Penn’s ass was like a plump Georgia peach—more muscular, but I wanted to sink my teeth right in. I leaned closer and did just that.

“You’re supposed to be checking me for injury, not inflicting it.” I glanced up and saw him watching me over his shoulder.

“Excuse me, I’m a professional. Turn around and let me do my work.”

“So sorry to interrupt; continue.”

I placed one hand on each cheek and squeezed. “Damn,” I whispered.

“You act like you don’t do this every night.” Penn’s voice was alight with amusement.

“Shush, working.”

Penn’s body shook with laughter, and I smiled. I loved this man with everything I was and three years ago, that had not been something I’d ever believed would happen. After Ella died, I’d been sure my heart had shriveled up and gone. Then Penn had stormed into my life like a savior in the night and stolen it. My kids—hell, my whole family adored him, and Penn loved them in return.

I spread his cheeks open and gently blew against his hole, loving how it reacted.

“Gideon.” Penn’s voice deepened, and the quiver I was so familiar with told me he needed more.

So that was what I’d give him. I pressed my tongue against his delicious hole and ate Penn out as if he were my last meal. I savored his taste, smell, and feel. No part of this man wasn’t perfect to me.

Penn was now tilting forward, pushing his ass into my face, riding it, begging for more.

“Shit, Gid, you gotta fuck me, please.”

I sat back and licked my lips. “Get on the bed,” I growled.

Penn moved and fell onto the bed, facing me, his legs spread, a bottle of lube in his hand.

“When did you get that?” I asked as I removed my clothes as quickly as possible.

“Like I didn’t know you were going to come in here.” He brought his finger to his hole and tapped it. “Now I want you to come in here.”

“Fuck, Penn.” I grabbed the lube. I opened it and slathered my dick while I watched as Penn fingered himself, readying for the pounding he knew I’d give him.

Unable to wait any longer, I smacked his hand away, earning a laugh from the man, and pressed the head of my cock against his hole.

“I love you,” I said, and the moment he opened his mouth, likely to return the sentiment, I slammed into him, turning his “I love you” into a deliciously erotic moan.

One knee on the bed, hands on his ankles keeping him nice and wide, I drove into him relentlessly. His skin glistened with sweat and, desperate to taste it, I licked his ankle.

“Fuuuuck, Gideon, I’m gonna come.”

He was rock hard. I let go of one of his legs and fisted his cock. “Yeah, you gonna come for me, baby?”

“God, yessssssssss.”

“Give it to me; I want to see it. Then I’m gonna drink it up.”

He arched up and sprayed across his chest, hitting his chin. I pounded into him a few more times before my orgasm spilled inside him and I collapsed on top of him.

“Holy fuck, how does it get better each time?” Penn mumbled.

“Fuck if I know, but not complaining.”

He chuckled and when I lifted my head, his green eyes met mine.

“You forgot something.” Penn quirked a brow.

“What?”

He lifted a come-covered finger to my lips. “You said you were gonna drink it up.”

I grinned and stuck out my tongue. “Feed it to me, baby.” And he did, not missing one drop.







Davidson King
Davidson King, always had a hope that someday her daydreams would become real-life stories. As a child, you would often find her in her own world, thinking up the most insane situations. It may have taken her awhile, but she made her dream come true with her first published work, Snow Falling.

She managed to wrangle herself a husband who matched her crazy and they hatched three wonderful children.

If you were to ask her what gave her the courage to finally publish, she’d tell you it was her amazing family and friends. Support is vital in all things and when you’re afraid of your dreams, it will be your cheering section that will lift you up.


FACEBOOK  /  BLUESKY  /  WEBSITE
RB MEDIA  /  AUDIOBOOKS  /  CHIRP  /  PODIUM
INSTAGRAM  /  AUDIBLE  /  LINKTREE
BOOKBUB  /  AMAZON  /  GOODREADS
EMAIL: davidsonkingauthor@yahoo.com



Be My Ruin #2

Be Mine Series


No comments:

Post a Comment